Thursday, September 8, 2011

it started with a wishlist...

i am a fan of twitter.  i don't tweet much myself, but i enjoy "knowing" what other people are doing and thinking and saying.  maybe that is a form of cyber stalking, but that word makes me feel bad.  i just like knowing.  that's innocent enough.


one of the folks i follow on twitter, a reality star from a tattoo show, started doing these "sketch a day" posts.  she had this awesome, leather-bound sketch pad with a spot at the top for her to write the date, and then a nice  area to sketch.  since she's a tattoo artist she had lots of neat drawings, very graphic, very neat. 


i showed the pictures to my husband and said how *neat* it would be to have one of these, and how much i would *love* to have one.  hinthinthinthinthint.


well christmas came and went...  mother's day came and went...  i decided i'd just have to buy one myself.  as i was lamenting that fact one day, my children came to me with a gift they had bought with daddy.  hurray!


i have not been as prolific as i'd like to be, but i am back to drawing, which is awesome.  my good friend turned me on to blogging my drawings, and now here we are!


this first sketch was done on my back patio, surrounded by various children, both mine and neighborhood ones.  the were interested in my drawing, since it was the normal dragon or unicorn or rainbow or WHATEVER they are constantly asking me to draw them.  at one point my daughter asked if i was drawing her father, which wounded my artistic sensibilities since 1) i was doing a self portrait and 2) i most assuredly do NOT have a penis.


sigh.


but otherwise, it turned out well.


self portrait, pencil drawing, august 9th, 2011

1 comment: